Sunday 4 November 2018

Pheasant-tailed Jacana

Back from the last Hegurajima trip, I heard there was a Pheasant-tailed Jacana at the north end of Lake Biwa. I'd previously only seen one in Japan, in an Osaka park a few yeasr ago, so I was keen to catch up with this bird.


I was on site at dawn and was surprised how many cars had already beaten me to it, perhaps because there was only one car park within easy walking distance. At least there was no problem finding the exact spot with the photographers lined-up well before light was broad enough. The bird was already visible in fact, just no one was interested in rather distant views in poor light. Well that was easy! The Osaka bird hardly ever came out into the open, this bird was never in cover.


As the light improved shutters began to applaud each time the bird opened its wings and by the time I left, at a still very early 07:40, there was quite a crowd along the lake shore.


The bird was quite mobile, often changing feeding spots, but only once came closer to the appreciative audience.






After an all to brief few minutes in front of us it was off again. Most of its time was spent it was well beyond the reach of my lens and the best I could hope for was more flight shots.






No comments:

Post a Comment