Saturday 3 November 2018

Hegurajima: October 11th-13th

My second two-night stay on Hegura this month (October 2018), and ride of place on this trip has to go to Siberian Accentor; a lifer. For some reason I always failed to see this species, even when there have been several on the island, even when they've been nailed-on from the window of my accommodation(!), they simply don't show for me. Or haven't until now.


Got it!!!



The Accentor aside, my best bird of the trip was a Pallas's Leaf Warbler simply because I haven't seen one for ages and they look fantastic. Fantastically difficult to photograph too. Other warblers proved less trying.


This 1st autumn Middendorff's didn't exactly sit-up but I can put the pieces together from the following images.








A warbler that really did give itself up was this Black-browed Reed on freshly mown grass...


It's not only wader that can have misleadingly dirty bills.
Another Black-browed Reed, this one required patience to see.



Interesting to compare the wing structure of these two; the point being formed by p3 in the case of the first bird with fairly evenly spaced feathers and p4 in the second with bunched feathers. I think to be able to see things like this is the beauty of having a camera. Without it I'd never have noticed this difference, not least because I wouldn't even have been looking for it.


The first bird with p3 clearly the longest and fairly evenly spaced feathers through 3-10.



The second bird, showing p4 as the longest primary with quite different p3-6 spacings.




No comments:

Post a Comment