Sunday 9 September 2018

Nordmann's Greenshank

Well, this was a pleasant surprise.


I first saw Nordmann's in Thailand about 25 years ago; Nordmann's and Crab Plover used to winter on a small island, the name of which escapes me right now. I've no idea what it's like there now, even then I learnt there were plans for a hotel etc, but in those days there was no tourist infrastructure at all. By chance I bumped into the chemist when I arrived at the island jetty and he invited me to sleep on the drugstore floor which was a great start.


I don't think anyone else on the island spoke a lick of English, typical of places tourist never reach really. Well, not a word of English isn't strictly true. Thanks to the trickle of birders who made it out there, whenever you stopped off for food or drink the people would smile broadly and greet you with "Nordmann's Greenshank!" How could this not crack you up. So of course you'd respond with an even bigger grin "Yayyy... Nordmann's Greenshank... Crab Plover"


I lucked-in too, my first night on the island was entertainment night. A big sheet was strung up between some trees, a noisy generator brought out and a video of some movie or other was shown. Great stuff, even Thailand was an adventure in those days.


Since then I've seen half a dozen or so Nordmann's in Kyushu but this was my first close to home. I just heard this is a known bird (to how many I don't know) but for me it will still go down as a self-find as I had no idea it was there.


A better underwing shot would have been nice but this will do.



It's got the legs and feet.



That tail's good enough for me.



It's not a Red Knot...



It's not a Great Knot...



The bill looks good... I think we'll call it done and dusted.









No comments:

Post a Comment